My Parasol

 

 

 

 

 

If you will remember my post on my Next DIY project , you will know that I was attempting to make a gothy parasol out of this huge umbrella. This is a spider web pattern which I’m sure I’ll be doing more of once my exams are finished.

 

I got together all supplies including:

 

Umbrella with removable end caps and black fabric.

 

White string/thickish thread

 

Scissors and wire cutters

 

Chalk

 

Black cotton string

 

Needle

 

Patience (it takes a bit)

 

Swear Jar (for every time you prick yourself and get smacked by the spokes.)

 

Movies (To play in the background)

 

(It would be good to have measuring tape but I couldn’t find mine so I used the string as a makeshift measuring device)

Left over fabric:

 

parasol-2-cutoff

The cut off spokes:

 

parasol-2-spokes

Removable end caps:

removable-end-caps

 

I first removed the end caps of the umbrella and cut of the spokes to the desired size, as the umbrella was too big and would be cumbersome.

I then cut around the top of the umbrella as the top was not removable, I had to cut very carefully. It is preferable to find an umbrella with a removable top). I then laid the fabric on the floor and measured the size I wanted and marked it with chalk (it should be smaller than the spokes to make the parasol bendy and the fabric tight. I made sure I had enough for re-sewing the hem and to re-sew the top but I miscalculated making a slight bit of a disaster.

I then got to sewing the white thread onto the seams of the umbrella panels, I did this by hand so it took forever and it didn’t look completely tidy, it would be better to use a sewing machine if you have one. After I did this I began to sew the spiral/spider web pattern.

When I had done this I sewed on the end caps and re-sewed the top of the parasol back onto the top cap.

The parasol looked too straight for my tastes and I had to use the white string to make it bendy. I tried it out the next day, but I thought it looked unprofessional, as the panels were loose and the string just looked !Bleh! (I don’t have pictures as my camera ran flat), so I redid it on Monday, making the hem line bigger. The fabric looked tighter and the parasol was slightly bendy without the string and now looks much better.

finished-parasol

finished-parasol-2

 

finished-parasol-3

 

In total it took about 13 hours to do this.

 

 

All blog content is Copyright © 2011 of Nightshade thepurplebroom.wordpress.com unless otherwise stated

Advertisements

I welcome you to leave a comment below...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s