Yes, you caught me out! This was supposed to be All Souls Day Bread but like a twit, I forgot all the yeast was finished, so I decided to make All Souls Cup Cakes!
What seems to make All Souls day bread what it is are the inclusions of lemon and orange zest and poppy seeds. Since these are cupcakes, not muffins, the poppy seeds will be left out….
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 tsp lemon and orange zest
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
130 g self-raising flour
125 g soft butter (I used salted but if you prefer to keep your sodium intake low, use unsalted, or use margarine)
125 g castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 190* C
- Mix the soft butter and the castor sugar together until it is light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs and then add them to the mixture.
- Add flour into mixture slowly while whisking. Add in the lemon and orange zest.
- Add in the juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/2 orange, two tablespoons milk and the 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence.
- Mix well.
- Divide the mixture equally between silicone cups, or in paper cups in muffin pan (makes 12)
- Put in oven for 15-20 minutes
235 g icing sugar
75 g butter
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Juice of 1/4 orange
- Beat the butter in a bowl until it is completely soft.
- Add in the juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/4 orange
- Add the icing sugar (sifted) and beat until it is light and fluffy.
- Spread the icing sugar on to the cupcakes. Add a birthday candle to each cupcake. Leave one on a windowsill for the lost souls. Leave the candle unlit, (or never leave the lit candle unattended.) Blow it out before it melts into cupcake. When you blow it out, say a prayer for those souls who are still lingering or confused.
While Samhain eve’s high festivity comes to a close with one final rite today, my seasonal depression will slowly settle in. My father also suffered from Seasonal depression or what is known as SAD but because he was often quite aloof (as male Cancerians tend to be), It was really only noticeable to those close to him, and even then, some people may have missed it.
With seasonal depression it becomes all the more important to embrace Yule, in order to keep the batteries going.
As it is Samhain day I have a closing ritual for the final harvest before the frosts come, and I’ll be laying out a candlelit cupcake for any lost souls who are still lingering.