As it is Samhain day I have a closing ritual for the final harvest before the frosts come, and I’ll be laying out a candlelit cupcake for any lost souls who are still lingering.
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 tsp lemon and orange zest
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
130 g self-raising flour
125 g soft butter (I used salted but if you prefer to keep your sodium intake low, use unsalted, or use margarine)
125 g castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 190* C
- Mix the soft butter and the castor sugar together until it is light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs and then add them to the mixture.
- Add flour into mixture slowly while whisking. Add in the lemon and orange zest.
- Add in the juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/2 orange, two tablespoons milk and the 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence.
- Mix well.
- Divide the mixture equally between silicone cups, or in paper cups in muffin pan (makes 12)
- Put in oven for 15-20 minutes
235 g icing sugar
75 g butter
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Juice of 1/4 orange
- Beat the butter in a bowl until it is completely soft.
- Add in the juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/4 orange
- Add the icing sugar (sifted) and beat until it is light and fluffy.
- Spread the icing sugar on to the cupcakes. Add a birthday candle to each cupcake. Leave one on a windowsill for the lost souls. Leave the candle unlit, (or never leave the lit candle unattended.) Blow it out before it melts into cupcake. When you blow it out, say a prayer for those souls who are still lingering or confused.